Northamptonshire Rights and Equality Council are supporting a West Haddon based refugee initiative Soin sans frontieres (Care Without Borders). Soin Sans Frontieres have been sending out aid to Hungary and to Greece by piggy-backing on couriers used by the local business community. It’s coordinated by Gary and Carol Kennedy who have used their contacts to get direct aid in the form of clothing, food and toiletries to refugees who desperately need basic supplies in order to survive. Soin Sans Frontieres have also been making monthly visits to Calais and are due to visit again in two weeks on 19th September 2015. They are now in desperately need of financial donations to enable them to fund these important missions and to continue shipping supplies.
Therefore Northamptonshire Rights and Equality Council have set up a Local Giving fundraising page to help raise funds to enable Soin Sans Frontieres to continue supporting these vulnerable and desperate refugees.
How the funding will be spent?
Soin sans frontieres (Care Without Borders) are doing what they do best – ensuring the safe delivery of aid to refugees.
They need money to pay for:
- Fuel for journeys to Calais to deliver aid.
- To purchase packaging and boxes to send aid out to Kos and Hungary.
- Telephone and subsistence costs while they are delivering aid in Calais.
- To purchase additional items to address specific needs of the refugees.
How this will benefit the community?
This gets support out quickly and effectively to people in immediate need. There has been a ground swell of donations to support refugees who have left conflict zones for a better life locally. Local people are keen to donate clothes but hard cash is needed to support getting them where they need to be. Please also provide a message of support with your donation which we can give to individuals that your money is helping. Sometimes hope is the most important gift of all!
If you are able to offer a small or even large financial donation to this essential humanitarian project please make a donation on our Local Giving Website. Without sufficient funds this amazing support for refugees will no longer be able to continue providing essential aid.
If you would also like to make a tangible donation they are currently asking for the following donations:
- Cereal bars & dried fruit.
- Pre-mixed baby milk & baby rice.
- Dried soup, noodles, pasta and sauces.
- Dried herbs, spices & stock.
- Baby wipes, nappies, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shower gel and shampoo.
- Clothing, underwear, practical shoes (especially trainers) and waterproof/warm jackets.
- Lightweight tents, foldable water containers, wind up (battery free) torches, fleece blankets and foil blankets, first aid kit and pens/paper.
Northamptonshire Rights and Equality Council Staff and Board Members have been hosting collections in Wellingborough and Northampton. To find out when we will be holding the next collection please email email@example.com or follow us on Twitter / Facebook.